19 juillet 2005

the dilemma of dining alone

ever since i realized that my dining compatriots are on either coast and not here in the midwest with me, i have begun debating the question of dining alone. i have discovered that going off on my own after work is quite a pleasurable pastime, as is shopping by myself on weekends, and to some extent exploring the city. but i have always viewed food as a social thing - having spent four years eating communal dinners at lmf, and all eighteen years of my life before that having dinner every day with my entire family, i realize i have never dined alone. now, since i arrived in chicago and my roommate gets home at 8pm in the evening, i have been eating alone, but i am always doing something else - reading a book, watching the news, etc. i would like to draw a distinction between eating alone and dining alone; to me, eating alone is a home type of thing, and dining alone is a restaurant type of thing. eating alone is something that is easily feasible after, for example, cooking for yourself, or as a matter of necessity. but dining alone is an entirely different animal. who will you discuss your food with? will other diners give you strange looks and looks of pity? who would feel comfortable in a situation like that? how will the waitstaff treat you? at any rate, i am determined to find out, once i find a good restaurant.

Aucun commentaire: