26 juillet 2005

another bakery conquest

We made it into the bakery a couple blocks from my apartment right before it really started pouring. It’s funny (not in a good way) how here, after it rains, it doesn’t get any less humid. Anyway, I had been told to come into this bakery by the girl I’m subletting from, and again by another intern, and I finally made it over on Saturday morning. It pretends to be French, but it’s unclear if any French people actually work there. However, their pastries are quite wonderful. We got a ham and cheese croissant, a breakfast bun, and a cupcake. For breakfast, we had the ham and cheese croissant and the cupcake – the breakfast bun was for later. The ham and cheese croissant was great – the cheese had stayed all melty and the croissants were good, standard croissants. I don’t have that much experience with good and bad croissants, but basically I wouldn’t buy one at a supermarket and I definitely wouldn’t want to buy one at Costco. I think the ones you make yourself are ultimately the best ones, although the ones Josh brought back from Paris that one year were really good too (surprise surprise). The cupcake was really wonderful – sponge cake with whipped cream on it, topped with a thin layer of ganache. It was possibly the best cupcake I’ve had since the freshman picnic my sophomore year when Miriam made the chocolate cupcakes with marmalade. We had the breakfast bun after we got back from shopping and before Alinea, and it was also excellent – not too sticky, and not too soft or crunchy. If one were to go to the bakery to sit there it would be great – there are outside tables and it’s just like a café in Paris!

I still haven't quite found a satisfactory bakery yet, sadly. I think what I really want is one imported from France...

Aucun commentaire: